While we are all growing increasingly accustomed to our new normal, milestone events have a different feel to them. End of school year is one such event. Without year-end parties, concerts, games and playdates this important milestone almost slipped us by. As a parent, I felt the need to create a space for my children to reflect on what this year has brought. I decided to interview them using a format that I recently used at work – start with a few thought-provoking questions followed by some rapid-fire questions to get top-of-mind responses. We sat down for our interview and this is what I asked my kids:
- What was your favorite activity this year?
- Tell me something about this year that you will never forget
- If you wrote a story about this school year, what would its title be?
- What are you most proud of?
- What would you do differently next year?
Rapid Fire questions
- What are you most thankful for?
- What energizes you?
- What worries you?
- What makes you feel loved?
- What’s your favorite thing to do with mom-dad?
- What are top 3 things you want to do this summer?
I was amazed at the wisdom in their responses. Turns out that they actually enjoy online learning. They see it as a unique, new experience and appreciate the flexibility that comes with it. Some deep thoughts were shared – gratitude for their amazing teachers, pride on accomplishments, cherished family time and relaxed mornings; along with fun ideas for the summer and some to-dos for mom-dad!
Don’t miss the opportunity to connect with your child at this time. Use these questions as conversation starters. Let me know what you think and how it goes.